Diplomas and Bar Certification

Degrees are noted on official transcripts approximately 10 to 12 weeks after the end of the semester in which they are awarded. Diplomas are typically available five months after the end of the semester in which the student graduated.

Diplomas will bear your name exactly as stated in your UCI academic record.

Obtaining Your Diploma

You will not receive your diploma at Commencement. Diplomas will be shipped in mid- to late August to your permanent home address listed in StudentAccess. Please ensure that your address is updated and your name appears as you would like it to appear on your diploma in StudentAccess by no later than the end of March. Diploma delivery requires a signature receipt. You must provide a permanent mailing address where your diploma can be signed for.

UCI Law will cover the cost of printing and shipping your diplomas. There are fees associated with replacement diplomas; details are below.

Replacement Diplomas

A replacement diploma may be requested if your original diploma has been lost or destroyed, or your name has changed since graduation.

To obtain a replacement diploma, you must complete and sign a Request for Replacement Diploma (PDF) and submit it with the required fees.

As of Summer 2008, all diplomas must reflect the exact name on your student records. If requesting a replacement diploma with a new name, you must return the original diploma and submit a Change of Name Petition with supporting documents to ensure that UCI records agree with your diploma. The petition is available at the University Registrar's office. Read more about requesting a name change on UCI records >

The fee for a replacement diploma is $22. An additional mailing fee applies: $10 for domestic addresses; $20 for international addresses. The replacement diploma may be picked up in person at the University Registrar's Office for no additional fee; the $22 replacement fee still applies.

It will take four (4) months to receive the replacement diploma. (Immediate verification of a degree may be obtained by requesting an official transcript).

All debts, with the exception of long-term financial aid loans and/or financial holds, must be cleared with Campus Billing Services before an official transcript or diploma may be released. Therefore, before leaving campus, graduating students should return all library materials, pay library fines, etc. Also, Financial Aid recipients are required to complete an exit interview before leaving campus.

Your replacement diploma will bear the signatures of current state and University officials. A reissue date will be printed at the bottom of your diploma.

Payment Options

Payment of mailing fees for replacement diplomas may be made via:

  • Check or money order made payable to UC REGENTS

Credit or debit cards are not accepted.

Additional Diploma Details

Only one diploma is issued per student. The University Registrar's Office does not retain a copy of your diploma. If an employer or institution requests a copy of your diploma, we can issue an official transcript or verification that will state your degree awarded and award date.

Bar Certification

Third-year students and graduates should send their state bar certification forms (e.g. moral character or bar exam certifications) to the Law School Registrar's Office for completion:

Registrar's Office
UC Irvine School of Law
401 E. Peltason Drive Suite 1000
Irvine, CA 92697-8000

Please include a contact phone number in case we need to reach you. There is no fee for this service.