Establishing a New Law Journal or Review

Students seeking to establish a new journal or review shall submit copies of their proposal to the Dean of Students, Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, and the Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee.  The proposal shall include the following:

(a) a description of the intended journal to include a statement as to the need for a new journal in this field, why students believe there is sufficient scholarly source material to support sustained publication in the area, and information on how the journal  will build upon existing synergies or strengths at UCI Law;

(b) information supporting that there is significant student interest in participating on such a journal;

(c) the name of at least one UCI faculty member who has reviewed your proposal and agreed to serve as the faculty advisor; and

(d) Bylaws which will cover at least the following topics:

1. the planned timing and frequency of publication;

2. the proposed format of the journal, to include information as to whether it will only publish in an online format or also believes a hard copy edition is justified;

3. the planned organization of the journal, to include the level of student staffing, and  any planned governance structure for its leadership (e.g., Board of Editors, Executive Board, etc.);

4. the eligibility requirements for student participation; and

5. the timing and process for student selection.

The Academic Affairs Committee may return the proposal to students with a request for additional information, or forward it to the faculty with a recommendation for approval or denial of the request.  If approved by the faculty, the approval shall normally be for a term of three years, after which the journal must submit an application for renewal to the Academic Affairs Committee.  The renewal process will be the same as the approval process, with the Academic Affairs Committee again being able to request information in addition to that contained in subsection (d) above, and forwarding the renewal request to the faculty with a recommendation.  At its discretion, the faculty may decide to grant shorter periods of approval or renewal.