Before You Arrive
Please read through the sections below for tips on what you should do before Orientation begins!
- Summer Assignments
- Please purchase and read Gideon’s Trumpet before arriving at school as the book will be discussed throughout Orientation. This book is mandatory for Orientation.
- If possible, please read and analyze the case that will be discussed in your academic skills workshop on the first day of Orientation. This reading is optional, but it will greatly enhance your understanding of the workshop discussion. The in-depth guide to reading and analyzing cases will prove useful for all of your law school classes.
- Disability Services
Students who experience all types of disabilities are eligible for support services. UCI’s Disability Services Center at UCI (DSC) provides a variety of services and accommodations. If you will be requesting accommodations while at UCI Law, please begin the process over the summer so that we can provide you with the proper accommodations from the very beginning of the school year.
To request services or accommodations for the upcoming academic year, you must register with the Disability Services Center. To begin this process, please fill out the online intake form. You must also provide documentation verifying your disability. Detailed information about necessary documentation can be found on DSC’s web site.
After you submit the intake form, a DSC staff member will contact you within 5 business days to make an appointment with Lori Palmerton, the Law School Disability Counselor. If you have any questions, please contact Lori at email@example.com or 949-824-7494. Lori will hold office hours at the law school during the academic year on Wednesdays from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions about this process please contact Lori or Jennah Jones, Director of Student Life.
- Health Insurance Waiver DEADLINE
All eligible graduate and undergraduate students at UC Irvine are automatically enrolled in the UC Student Heatlh Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and charged a health insurance fee as part of registration at UC Irvine. If you are currently covered by major medial health insurance that is comparable to UC SHIP, you may request to waive out of the plan.
To waive out of the UC Irvine sponsored health insurance plan for 2013-2014, you must submit a request online during the open waiver period, June 17, 2013 through September 12, 2013, for the Fall 2013 semester. If approved, the waiver is in effect for the current term and the remainder of the academic year. A new waiver request must be submitted at the beginning of each academic year. Full details and information about waiving UC SHIP is on the UC SHIP web page.
- Financial Aid
Zot Account - Log in at Zot Account to tell us where to send your funds. Once you log in and get to "Welcome to ZOT Account Online," select "Direct Deposit (DEFT)" and provide the requested information. Financial Aid funds will be deposited on Friday, August 16. Avoid late fees - Tuition and Fees are due on August 15.
- Informal Head Shot
Faculty and staff try hard to get to know everyone by name as quickly as possible. We would greatly appreciate it if you emailed an informal headshot (we’re not looking for something professional!) to Student Services Coordinator Debbie Mondares at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will match the pictures to the class rosters at the beginning of the year (in other words, you should send in a picture that you are comfortable with faculty seeing). This is entirely voluntary. We will use your official ID picture for the password-protected Law Student Directory.
- RSVP for New Student Orientation Picnic
- New students, family, partners, and kids are welcome to join faculty, staff and Community Fellows for the New Student Orientation Picnic on Tuesday, August 13. The picnic is free, but we need a head count for ordering food. Please RSVP here.
- Sign up for an SBA Mentor
- The Student Bar Association is organizing a student mentor/mentee program, pairing each 1L with an upperclassman. If you would like to participate, please fill out this GoogleDoc. The deadline to sign up is Tuesday, August 6, at 5 P.M. Those who do not sign up will not be paired with a mentor. The more information you provide, the better we will be able to match you with someone of similar interests. Be creative! Participants who sign up will be contacted by their student mentors in 2-3 weeks. Your mentors look forward to meeting you! Please direct questions to Kelly Galligan at email@example.com.
- UCI Parking Permit
Parking permits are available at the Parking Office, located above the UCI Police Department, across the street from the Law School (building 7 on the campus map). If you purchase your parking pass early, you can avoid paying the $10 daily parking fee during Orientation week. Please bring a form of picture identification with you (we recommend your UCI Student ID) to purchase your parking pass. Parking pass rates vary from $62/month to $100/month, depending on your specific needs. You can learn more about parking rates and passes on the Parking website.
ID photos are taken at The Hill, our UCI bookstore, located in the Student Center. On this campus map, the Law School is in buildings 2, 3, and 4. The Student Center is building 113. You can opt to go have your ID card made early, but we have also built time into Orientation for you to get these made.