Professor of Law
Joint appointment in Criminology, Law & Society
Legal profession, professional responsibility
Professor Southworth teaches and writes on the legal profession and lawyers who serve causes, with an emphasis on lawyers’ norms, professional identities, practices, organizations, and networks. She participated in designing UC Irvine School of Law’s required first year course on the American legal profession, and is the co-author, with Catherine Fisk, of an interdisciplinary textbook, The Legal Profession. She has published numerous articles on civil rights and poverty lawyers, lawyers involved in national policy-making, and advocates for conservative and libertarian causes, as well as a book on the conservative legal movement, Lawyers of the Right: Professionalizing the Conservative Coalition. Her current research interests include the discourse, resources, strategies and networks of public interest law organizations and their lawyers.
Prior to joining the founding faculty at UC Irvine School of Law, she was a law professor at Case Western Reserve and an affiliated scholar at the American Bar Foundation. She has been a visiting professor at Harvard and UCLA. She clerked for Judge Stanley A. Weigel and practiced at Morrison & Foerster, the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, and the U.S. Department of Justice. She received her B.A. and J.D. degrees from Stanford University.
Legal Profession I & II, Professional Responsibility, Cause Lawyers seminar, Legal Profession seminar, Civil Procedure
- The Legal Profession: Structure, Regulation, and Ethics (with Catherine Fisk) (West, forthcoming 2014)
- “What is Public Interest Law? Empirical Perspectives on an Old Question,” 62 DEPAUL LAW REVIEW 1601 (2013)
- “Lawyers in National Policymaking” (with Anthony Paik and John P. Heinz), in THE PARADOX OF PROFESSIONALISM: LAW AND THE POSSIBILITY OF JUSTICE (ed. Scott Cummings, Cambridge University Press, 2011)
- ABA Journal Legal Rebels project: “Students Need to Learn About The Profession They’re Joining”
- Lawyers of the Right: Professionalizing the Conservative Coalition (University of Chicago Press, 2008)
- Prof. Southworth's Scholarly Papers on SSRN
- Feb. 24, 2016
Featured Speaker, Public Interest Lawyering in the U.S. and Beyond symposium, Indiana University Maurer School of Law