The Law Library has a small collection of print study aids in addition to an online collection of titles from West Academic. Study aids can be useful as supplements to course readings and class sessions. For general questions about legal study aids, as well as tailored advice about supplementary readings, contact UCI Law's Academic Skills Office.
Subject: "legal study aids" and
- "civil procedure" in the title
- "constitutional law" in a subject
- "contracts" in the title
- "criminal law" in the title
- "international" in the title
- "legal ethics" in a subject
- "torts" in the title
Other study aids
Use the Advanced search:
- Select "Subject," and type "legal study aids" in the text box.
- Select "Title" or "Subject," and type a term or phrase for your course topic in the text box.
- Click "Search."
For more study aids on your topic, change the second dropdown to "Keyword," then type a term or phrase for your course in the text box. This can find study aids that just have a chapter or section on your topic. When you click into a title in your results list, search terms are highlighted.
Where are the online study aids?
The Law Library offers access to many online study aids from West Academic: subscription.westacademic.com
Note: UCI Law community members can use the law school's VPN (Virtual Private Network) to get access. VPN instructions are available from UCI Law IT.
Series titles include:
- Black Letter Outlines
- Concise Hornbook Series
- Gilbert Law Summaries
- Law Stories
- Sum and Substance
Where are the print study aids?
- Behind the Service Counter on the Reserve shelves. Come ask for them.
- They can be used in the Law Library for two hours at a time.
- Older editions - if available - are in the general Law Library collection. You can check them out and take them home.
What about other study aids?
- The Academic Skills Office can provide recommendations and samples, including titles that the Law Library doesn't have.
- The UCI Bookstore carries a few legal study aids.
- Online retailers have a larger selection (including used versions.)
What types of print study aids does the Law Library have?
Our collection of print study aids focuses on titles that are useful introductory texts, including many current study aids from the following series:
- Hornbook and Concise Hornbook series
- Understanding series
- Nutshell series
The Law Library also collects study aids that are written by UCI Law Faculty.
Hours and basic information: