Borrowing at UCI Law Library
In general, only UCI students, faculty and staff can borrow from the Law Library. See the information on the right for more details.
While patrons are welcome to use all of the Law Library's collection inside the Law Library, most of the Law Library's collection cannot be checked out.
Fines and Fees
Any Law Library fine will block a patron's account until the fine is paid in full. Patrons will not be able to check out Law Library materials, request ILLs, place recalls, or renew any items checked out to them.
Fines $20.00 and over may be subject to additional late charges if not paid on time, and may prevent students from registering for classes if unpaid by the following term.
- Circulating materials: 1 dollar per day.
- Reserve Materials and Group Study Room Keys: 2 dollars per hour (or portion of an hour).
- If a Reserve item is overdue for 16 hours, or a Circulating item is overdue for 28 days, the item will be considered lost and the patron will be charged either a default replacement cost (125.00 dollars for Law Library materials, 150.00 for ILLs) or the actual cost of the item, whichever is higher. In addition, a ten dollar processing fee is added to all bills.
- If the item is returned later, the replacement cost will be cancelled. But patrons will still be responsible for the processing fee and/or any overdue fines.
- If the item is lost, patrons will be responsible for the full bill.
- Damaged items incur the same charges as lost items.
- The Law Library does not accept replacement copies in lieu of payment.
The Law Library sends automated email notices to all patrons when:
- A circulating item is going to be due in 7 days -- a "courtesy reminder"
- A circulating item is overdue
- A circulating item has been recalled -- with the item's new due date
- An item has been billed as lost
The email subject line is "A ___ from the UCI Libraries", depending on the type of notice. Notices are sent to a patron's @uci.edu email address; patrons should monitor that account (and junk mail folder) regularly, or forward emails to another address.
The Law Library does not send any notices for hourly materials until the replacement bill.
Fines under $20.00 must be paid in person at the Law Library Service Counter during the Law Library's normal hours of operation. Cash only.
Fines and replacement costs $20.00 and over will be forwarded to the campus' central cashier's office for processing; the Law Library cannot accept payment for these charges. The central cashier's office will accept payments by cash, check and money order at 228 Aldrich Hall during their open hours, or online by ACH debit from a bank account at zotaccount.uci.edu at any time.
Fines from other UCI Libraries
The Law Library cannot accept payment for fines or fees accrued on materials from other UCI Libraries, and the other libraries on campus will not accept payment for fines and fees accrued on Law Library materials. Also, only Law Library fines block the check out of Law Library materials, and only fines from the other libraries on campus will block use of their materials. Note that if you have fines from any UCI Library, you will not be able to request an ILL, renew items online, or place a recall on materials from any UCI Library. See UCI Libraries Fines and Fees for more information.