Joseph F. C. DiMento
Professor of Law
Joint appointment in Planning and in Criminology, Law & Society
International law, environmental law, international environmental law, urban planning
In his decades of teaching, Professor DiMento has written a dozen books and taught courses on a wide variety of subjects, including international law, urban and regional planning, domestic and international environmental law, administrative law and regulation, business and government, conflict resolution.
Professor DiMento also served for 10 years as the director of UC Irvine’s Newkirk Center for Science and Society.
Environmental Law and Policy; International Legal Analysis; Comparative and International Environmental Law; Land Use and Development Control Law; Urban and Regional Planning; Property Law; Climate Change Seminar
- Climate Change: What it Means to Us, Our Children and Our Grandchildren, 2nd ed. (Joseph DiMento & Pamela Doughman, eds., 2014).
- Joseph DiMento & Cliff Ellis, Changing Lanes: Visions and Histories of Urban Freeways (2013).
- Joseph DiMento & Alexis Hickman, Environmental Governance of the Great Seas: Law and Effect (2012).
- October 5-9, 2016:
Presenter, "Arctic Environmental Governance: Implementation of Promising Initiatives," at the 9th Polar Law Symposium, The Role of Law in Polar Governance, Akureyri & Reykjavik, Iceland.
- June 24, 2016:
Journal Board Member and Presenter, “Who governs the environment?” at 30-year anniversary of Rivista Giuridica Dell’Ambiente Italian environmental journal, Bergamo, Italy
- Spring 2016:
Convenor and Presenter, Arctic Roundtable, Center for Land, Environment, and Natural Resources and Newkirk Center for Science and Society, UC Irvine
- Spring 2016:
Moderator, Land Use Symposium, Center for Land, Environment, and Natural Resources, UC Irvine School of Law
- May 29-30, 2015:
Presenter, “Environmental Governance of the Arctic: Law, Effect, Now Implementation,” The European Union and The Arctic conference, Dundee, Scotland
- Jan. 30-31, 2015:
Presenter, Symposium on Arctic Governance, UC Irvine School of Law
- June 16, 2014:
Panelist, conference on “Environmental Protection Through Law: Comparative Approaches, Administrative Regulation and Criminal Justice,” Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, Italy
- The Atlantic: Prof. DiMento quoted re: regional politics favoring building highways to suburbs
- The Atlantic: Prof. DiMento quoted re: the history of American highways
- Old Town Lansing Times: Prof. DiMento quoted re: what should come first: development of commercial area or public transportation
- Daily Journal: Professors DiMento and Camacho write on Climate Change by Administrative Law (PDF)
- Environmental History: Book co-authored by Prof. DiMento, Changing Lanes: Visions and Histories of Urban Freeways, reviewed