Student Awards 2010-2011
The following awards were presented at the UCI Law Awards Celebration
on April 21, 2011.
UCI Law Leadership and Service Awards
These awards, presented by Dean of Student Services Elizabeth Schroeder, were created by students, and the recipients were nominated by and chosen by peer vote.
- Community Builder Award. Awarded to one member of each class who students believe has gone above and beyond in his or her efforts to build a compassionate culture among students at UCI Law.
- Class of 2012: Samuel Lam
- Class of 2013: Meg Tanaka
- Outstanding Community Service Award - David Rodwin. Awarded to one student who has demonstrated service to the community at the law school and beyond.
- Silent Hero Award. Awarded to one member of each class who students believe has demonstrated outstanding leadership and commitment to student life at UCI Law, but who makes his or her contributions behind the scenes.
- Class of 2012: Alisa Hartz
- Class of 2013: Meg Tanaka
- Student Leaders of the Year. Awarded to one member of each class who students believe has demonstrated exceptional leadership at UCI Law this year.
- Class of 2012: Jenny Tryck
- Class of 2013: Christine Luu
- Student Organization of the Year - underRepresented Student Alliance (uRSA). Awarded to one student organization that has demonstrated exceptional contributions to student life at UCI Law this year.
- Public Service Award - David Rodwin. Awarded to one UCI Law student who has demonstrated exceptional commitment to pro bono work over the course of the year.
External Scholarships and Awards
Dean of Development and External Affairs Charles Cannon presented these awards and scholarships made possible by generous supporters of UC Irvine School of Law.
- Jackson Lewis Scholarship - Jennifer Henry. Jackson Lewis LLP, one of the most active employment litigation practices in the United States, established this scholarship to support an entering student with an interest in employment or labor law who has demonstrated professional acumen, academic excellence and has overcome socioeconomic or personal challenges.
- Hispanic Bar Assocation Wally Davis Memorial Scholarship - Francisco Balderrama. This scholarship provides financial assistance to Latino law students who have demonstrated a commitment to the Latino community. More information.
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Scholarship - Denny Chan. This scholarship is awarded to law students who demonstrate a commitment to serve or contribute to the Asian Pacific American community as future leaders. More information.
- Continuing Education of the Bar Excellence in Legal Writing Award - Gregory Mintz. This award is granted to the best brief produced in the school's first-year research and writing program. More information.
- Louis Jackson National Student Writing Competition Award - Xenia Tashlitsky. This annual law student writing competition honors the memory of Louis Jackson, a founding partner in Jackson Lewis LLP, a law firm that has engaged in the practice of employment, labor, and benefits law on behalf of management for over 48 years. More information.
- Justice Stephen K. Tamura Scholarship - Chris Dalbey, Jenny Tryck. This scholarship was created in memory of Justice Tamura, the first Asian American appointed to the California Appellate Court, and is awarded to students who demonstrate academic achievement, commitment to community, leadership and financial need.