Leslie C. Griffin
William S. Boyd Professor of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Constitutional law, first amendment, law and religion, bioethics, torts
Dr. Leslie C. Griffin is the William S. Boyd Professor of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law. Prof. Griffin, who teaches constitutional law, is known for her interdisciplinary work in law and religion. She holds a Ph.D. in Religious Studies from Yale University and a J.D. from Stanford Law School. She is author of the Foundation Press casebook, Law and Religion: Cases and Materials; editor of Law and Religion: Cases in Context, and author of numerous articles and book chapters about law, religion, politics and ethics. Her most recent law review article, “The Sins of Hosanna-Tabor,” appeared in the Indiana Law Journal, 88 Ind. L.J. 981 (2013).
Other publications include “How Smith Protects Women’s Equality,” 32 Cardozo L. Rev. 1831 (2011); “Religion and the Courts 1790-1947,” in Cambridge History of Religions In America (S. J. Stein, ed., 2012); “Fighting the New Wars of Religion: The Need for a Tolerant First Amendment,” 62 Maine L. Rev. 23 (2010) and “Good Catholics Should Be Rawlsian Liberals,” 5 Southern Cal. Interdisc. L.J. 297 (1997).
Before becoming a law professor, Prof. Griffin clerked for the Honorable Mary M. Schroeder of the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and was an assistant counsel in the Department of Justice's Office of Professional Responsibility, which investigates professional misconduct by federal prosecutors.
Before joining the UNLV faculty, Prof. Griffin held the Larry & Joanne Doherty Chair in Legal Ethics at the University of Houston Law Center and was a tenured member of the faculty at the Santa Clara University School of Law. She has held research fellowships at the Harvard Program in Ethics and the Professions and at Emory University. She has been a visiting professor at the George Washington University Law School, the University of Alabama School of Law, and Georgetown University Law Center.
- Law and Religion: Cases and Materials, Foundation Press, 3rd ed. 2013
- "The Sins of Hosanna-Tabor," 88 Indiana L.J. 981, 2013
- "Divining the Scope of the Ministerial Exception," 39 Hum. Rts. 19, 2012-2013
- "Smith and Women’s Equality," 32 Cardozo L. Rev. 1831, 2011
- Law and Religion: Cases in Context, Aspen, 2010
- "Religion and Politics 2008-2009: Sometimes You Get What You Pray For," 25 J.L. & Religion 205, 2010
- The Catholic Church, Morality and Politics, with Charles E. Curran, eds., Paulist Press, 2001
- Religion & Politics in the American Milieu, ed., Special Issue, The Review of Politcs, 1989