Assistant Professor of Law
Higher education law, criminal law, corporate law, white collar crime and securities fraud
Professor Glater’s writing focuses on the role of law as both response to and source of barriers to higher education. His research interests include the impact of federal aid policy on access to college, the effects of education debt on student decision-making, and relationships between higher education finance and the functioning of financial markets.
Prior to joining the faculty, Professor Glater for nine years worked as a reporter at The New York Times, where he wrote about the business of law and about higher education finance. Before joining the Times, he worked at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton in New York and at Marval, O’Farrell & Mairal in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Education Law & Policy; Statutory Analysis: Criminal Law; Business Associations: Public Companies; Topics in White Collar Crime; Federal Criminal Law
- Student Debt and Higher Education Risk, 103 Cᴀʟɪғ. L. Rᴇᴠ. 1561 (2015).
- Hurdles of Different Heights for Securities Fraud Litigants of Different Types, 2014 Cᴏʟᴜᴍ. Bᴜs. L. Rᴇᴠ. 47 (2014).
- The Unsupportable Cost of Variable Pricing of Student Loans, 70 Wᴀsʜ. & Lᴇᴇ L. Rᴇᴠ. 2137 (2013).
- The New York Times, Deal Book: “In Lean Times for Law Schools, an Opportunity”
- The Other Big Test: Why Congress Should Allow College Students to Borrow More Through Federal Aid Programs, 14 N.Y.U. J. Lᴇɢɪs. & Pᴜʙ. Pᴏʟ’ʏ 11 (2011).
- A Broad View of Access, 39 Lᴏʏ. L.A. L. Rᴇᴠ. 759 (2006).
- March 18, 2016:
Panelist, “Did Privatization of Sallie Mae work?” at Student Debt Crisis conference, Boston College Law School
- Nov. 20-21, 2015:
Participant, The Present and Future of Civil Rights Movements: Race and Reform in 21st Century America, Duke Law School
- Oct. 3-6, 2013:
Facilitator, Mock Job Talk, 2013 Biennial LatCrit Conference: Resistance Rising: Theorizing and Building Cross- Sector Movements
- Daily Journal: Prof. Glater writes about “Shifting the risk of higher education” (PDF)
- Orlando Sentinel: Prof. Glater says it’s a good time to apply to law school
- NBC News Education Nation: Prof. Glater writes on rising student loan debt