If you are planning an event and need assistance, please get in touch with the Director of Student Life.
Here is a general checklist for planning:
Student Organizations - Event Planning Checklist
Step 1: Organize
- Idea/Title for Event
- Event Date
- Reserve space and specify facilities and AV needs through the online Law Event Approval Form (LEAF) at least 14 days in advance
- Create a timeline and deadlines for accomplishing tasks associated with the event
- Contact and confirm speakers/presenters
- Submit Performance Agreements/Contracts for Speakers and Performers with ASUCI
- Create a budget including cost of publicity, facilities, food, parking, speaker/performer fees, decorations, etc.
- Secure Funding: How much money does our organization have for this event?
Step 2: Resources & Getting the Word Out
- Identify members who can assist with the event, develop a task list with deadlines for each staff person
- Coordinate food for event, if needed
- Coordinate parking, if needed, through Debbie Mondares
- Purchase supplies & decorations, if needed
- Fill out any necessary Alcohol Permit and/or Food Permit and turn in to Director of Student Life at least 12 business days in advance.
- Purchase Liability Insurance, if needed, or have Liability Waivers
- Create and distribute publicity/invitations for the event, be sure to include RSVP deadline if required
Step 3: Day of Event
- Arrive early to set up and meet with all of your committee members and vendors
- Make a detailed (minute-by-minute) schedule for day of event
- What is each person in your organization responsible for at the event?
- Make sure you have a take-down plan (who will help clean up, put equipment away, etc., and how long will it take?)
- Save Sign-In Sheet to submit with reimbursement paperwork
Step 4: Post-Event
- Write thank-you cards
- Complete budget and reimbursements/check requests with ASUCI
- Hold a post-event meeting with your committee to analyze data from any surveys, and make suggestions for improvements for next year or the next event
- Praise your committee for the hard work they’ve completed!