International Law Student Checklist
checklist has been developed as a calendar guide to assist you as you start
your law school career at UC Irvine.
If you are not an international student, go to the New Domestic Law Student Checklist.
- April 30 is the deadline to submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) online.
It is in your best interest to submit this form as soon as possible
after making your decision, because the School of Law cannot formally
admit you until we have informed the university that you intend to
register. By submitting the SIR, the school can prepare administratively
for your arrival and the housing office will be able to accept your
online application for graduate housing.
- Apply for on-campus graduate housing by completing the Online Guaranteed Housing Application
(UCINetID login required). The housing application is only open to
students who have submitted their Positive Statement of Intent to
Register. More information about UCI Graduate Student Housing.
- To determine residency status, you are required to file the online Statement of Legal Residency (SLR) form with the UCI Office of the Registrar.
- Review the I-20 immigration documents.
- Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee.
- Once you have paid your SEVIS fee, you can contact the nearest U.S.
Embassy or Consulate to schedule an appointment for an F1 or J1 student
visa. The USA.gov web site is a good source for finding a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Schedule a visa interview appointment with the U.S Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
- The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the
visa. If the visa is issued, you may need to pay an additional visa
issuance reciprocity fee.
- May 1 is the deadline to submit the Online Guaranteed Housing Application.
Students who apply by this deadline will be notified of their housing
community assignment by mid-May, via email. The guaranteed housing offer
is for the fall semester, and cannot be deferred to a later time.
Students who do not accept the University’s first housing offer may
elect to be placed on the wait list for another community. More information at UCI Graduate Student Housing site.
- June 1 is the deadline to accept or decline
Guaranteed Housing Community offers. Be sure to indicate reasons for
declining and/or request to be placed on the wait list for another
- June 1 is the priority filing date to submit the online Statement of Legal Residency (SLR) form.
September & October
process with UCI International Center.
- First week of October, submit your official undergraduate transcript
showing receipt of a bachelor’s degree. The ABA requires each admitted
student to submit a final official undergraduate transcript to the
School of Law. The copy you supplied to the Law School Admission Council
(LSAC) is NOT an official transcript (ABA Standards, 502-I)