Mock Trial Spring 2014
Results of Final Trial, March 19, 2014
- First Place: Tommy Du and Erik Johnson, representing the Defendant
- Second Place: Lupe Gonzalez and Nora Stefanos, representing the State
Judges of Final Trial
- Orange County Superior Court Judge Fred Slaughter (Presiding)
- Mark Brown
- Dan Cornelious
- Sabyl Landrum
- Marissa Oxman
2014 Competition Individual Awards
- Best Advocate: Tommy Du
- Best Opening Statement: Chris Campbell
- Best Cross Examination: Tommy Du
More than 30 students competed in Mock Trial this year. The case argued in the competition was a criminal DUI murder matter.
Though this was the third Mock Trial competition at UCI Law, this was the first that was run by students. The Mock Trial board members are: Irene Chen, Erica Choi, Tommy Du, Cait Emmons, Christine Fukushima, Becca Maloney, Amy Nguyen, William Ninh, and Daisy Ocampo.
Board advisor Justin Bernstein, a business and securities litigator at Stradling, provided training to the 30+ participants and oversaw the structure of the program. Bernstein, who has coached UCI Law Mock Trial since its start, is also the president-elect of the American Mock Trial Association, and the coach for the #1-ranked UC Irvine undergraduate team.