Experian/Jones Day Moot Court Competition 2012
- Finalists: Brian Olney, for the Petitioner; Myles Couch, for the Respondents
- Best Oral Argument: Brian Olney
- Best Brief: Jeanne Detch and Phil Syers
Runners-Up: Myles Couch and Mallory Sepler-King
The real-life case argued during this competition: Mohamed et al. v. Jeppesen Dataplan, Inc., a lawsuit that charges a Boeing subsidiary knowingly participated in abuse of prisoners by arranging flights for the CIA to transfer prisoners to other countries for imprisonment. The ACLU filed the case on behalf of five former prisoners who say they were tortured in captivity and that Jeppesen was complicit in the alleged abuse.
- Whether the Court of Appeals sitting en banc erred in dismissing petitioners' claims under the Reynolds evidentiary privilege.
- Whether petitioners' suit must be dismissed under the Totten rule.
- Jeppesen First Amended Complaint (PDF)
- Jeppesen U.S. District Court (PDF)
- Jeppesen Ninth Circuit En Banc (PDF)
- Ninth Circuit Panel Decision (PDF)
- The New Yorker article (PDF)
- The New York Times article (PDF)
Friday, Nov. 25, 2011
5:00 p.m. Deadline to sign up for the competition. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, Dec. 9, 2011
5:00 p.m. Deadline to submit brief partner choices to email@example.com. All participants without partners will be randomly assigned a teammate. Any participant who wishes to withdraw from the competition must also do so by this date.
Friday, Dec. 16, 2011
5:00 p.m. Competition materials are emailed to each participant.
Monday, Jan. 30, 2012
5:00 p.m. Briefs due
Oral arguments held:
- Preliminary Rounds
Friday, March 23, 2012
Final round of oral arguments
Mark P. Robinson Jr. Courtroom
- Alexandra Alvarez, Genny Kristie
- Betsy Bentler, Danny Moss
- Brad Walters, Jenn Henry
- Brian Olney, Jaclyn Stahl
- Daniel Modafferi, Reed Grantham
- Danila Toscano, Francisco Balderrama
- Emma Rosenberg, Kate Wagner
- James Yoon, Jin Soo Lee
- Jeanne Detch, Phil Syers
- Kevin Reyes, Nico Anwandter
- Mallory Sepler-King, Myles Couch
- Marissa Oxman, Mike Wasserman
- Andrea Smith, Sunny Hwang