Pre-Law Outreach Program
UC Irvine School of Law’s Pre-Law Outreach Program ("POP") is sponsored by the Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund and Kaplan Test Prep, Inc. POP helps students from disadvantaged backgrounds understand the demands of law school, prepare for the law school application and admissions process, and be inspired to one day use their legal skills to give back to the community. Participants attend six (6) Saturday classes during June and July, and at the end of the Program all participants receive a free LSAT review course, donated by Kaplan Test Prep, Inc. POP classes include speakers, panels, lessons, experiential learning, and mentorship, all focused on inspiring participants and making them competitive law school applicants.
Download the application (PDF) for the Summer 2015 program. Application due: March 6, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
In just five years, POP has provided education and inspiration to more than 180 undergraduate students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Feedback from POP participants has been extremely positive. Immediately following the Program, participants have reported that they feel prepared to apply to law school. Several months after POP concluded, participants reported that they had improved their GPA’s, enrolled in additional co-curricular activities, and sought out legal internships in order to be more competitive law school applicants. Additionally, POP graduates have volunteered to assist as interpreters with Public Counsel, the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, and UCI Law’s Pro Bono Program.
There is NO CHARGE for students admitted to the program, which provides:
- A certificate for a free LSAT Review course provided by Kaplan Test Prep, Inc.
- Detailed information on the law school admissions process
- Detailed information about the costs of law school and available financial aid
- Advice about excelling in law school from law students, faculty, and recent graduates
- Information about careers in law from practicing lawyers in many fields
- Limited scholarships for transportation and/or housing costs
Eligibility Requirements for Summer 2015
- You are a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited college or university (this includes a community college)
- You do not plan to submit any applications to law school until Fall 2016 or later
- You have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- You are from a disadvantaged background, which may include one or more of the following factors (you only need to meet one of these requirements):
- Family income within 200% of the federal poverty guidelines per aspe.hhs.gov/poverty
- First-generation college student
- Limited familial exposure to post-college education and career opportunities
- English is not the primary language in the home of origin
- Overcoming educational hardships and challenges
- You must attend all six Saturday sessions of POP 2015, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. each day: June 20 and 27, July 11, 18, 25, and August 1. There are no exceptions for those studying abroad.