Raymond Pryke First Amendment Law Lecture
The Raymond Pryke Endowed Chair in First Amendment Law solidifies the UC Irvine School of Law’s teaching and research in First Amendment and Media Law. Dean Erwin Chemerinsky, selected as the Pryke Professor, serves as a national opinion leader in free speech and media law issues. He is a respected authority in the field, and he teaches, writes and speaks on First Amendment issues of the day, including the role of a free press in preserving democratic society.
As part of the Pryke endowment, UCI Law also hosts an annual lecture on First Amendment Law, delivered by a top national expert in the area.
- March 6, 2017: Laura Weinrib, Assistant Professor of Law, Herbert and Marjorie Fried Teaching Scholar and Associate Member Department of History at the University of Chicago, Law School
- November 16, 2015: Floyd Abrams, Partner, Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- November 17, 2014: David Cole, Hon. George J. Mitchell Professor in Law and Public Policy at Georgetown University Law Center, on “The Freedom to Dissent: Lessons for Constitutional Theory and Practice from a Career Defending Flag Burners, Performance Artists, Communists, and Terrorists”
- March 18, 2013: Kelli L. Sager, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Jan. 12, 2012: Prof. Barry Friedman, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Professor of Law at New York University School of Law, on “Policing Without Permission,” to celebrate the establishment of the UCI Law Raymond Pryke Endowed Chair in First Amendment Law.